There are a couple of talks that have helped me see myself and others in a different light…especially regarding why we are here on this earth at this season of time. There’s a reason why we were born at this time and not some other time…and sometimes, that idea alone is seed enough to start with. Each one of us was sent here with a particular purpose to fill, a role to play…in essence, to be a light of some form. Enjoy.
Pres. Ezra T. Benson, In His Steps
https://speeches.byu.edu/talks/ezra-taft-benson_in-christs-steps/ (given March 1979)
· For nearly six thousand years, God has held you in reserve to make your appearance in the final days before the Second Coming of the Lord. Every previous gospel dispensation has drifted into apostasy, but ours will not. True, there will be some individuals who will fall away; but the kingdom of God will remain intact to welcome the return of its head–even Jesus Christ. While our generation will be comparable in wickedness to the days of Noah, when the Lord cleansed the earth by flood, there is a major difference this time. It is that God has saved for the final inning some of his strongest children, who will help bear off the Kingdom triumphantly. And that is where you come in, for you are the generation that must be prepared to meet your God.
· And the showdown is fast approaching (this talk was given in 1979…we’re at 30 years…how fast have things escalated since then?)
· Jesus knows that His kingdom will triumph, and He wants you to triumph with it, too. He knows in advance every strategy the enemy will use against you and the Kingdom. He knows your weaknesses and He knows your strengths. By revelation, personal to you, you may discover some of these strengths and weaknesses through a careful and prayerful study of your patriarchal blessing. Through proper prayer you can ask him to reveal to you your weaknesses so that you can amend your life.
· As we approach the showdown, it will be increasingly valuable to have vocational skills–to be able to use our hands. The most essential temporal skills and knowledge are to be able to provide food, clothing, and shelter. Increasingly the Lord, through His servants, is trying to get us closer to the soil by raising our own produce.
· It has been said that no one is born into this world whose work is not born with him or her. (We each have a task to do given to us from our life before this earth.) We bring from our preexistent state various talents and abilities. (I learned this a good while back. Fascinating truth.) …. It is our responsibility to strive to find where we can make a contribution to our fellowman–an area where we have some interest and abilities and where we can, at the same time, provide for our own.
Sheri Dew, Knowing Who You Are—and Who You Have Always Been (2001)
· There is nothing more vital to our success and our happiness here than learning to hear the voice of the Spirit. It is the Spirit who reveals to us our identity-which isn’t just who we are but who we have always been.
· President Lorenzo Snow taught that “Jesus was a god before he came into the world and yet his knowledge was taken from him. He did not know his former greatness, neither do we know what greatness we had attained to before we came here.” But President Snow also taught that during the Savior’s life “it was revealed unto Him who He was, and for what purpose He was in the world. The glory and power He possessed before He came into the world was made known unto Him.”… just as the Savior came to remember and to know exactly who He was, so may we. (In other words, once we realize our spiritual capacities/powers/abilities and personality, we can better fulfill our role and the purpose why each of us came here..or was sent here to do…in the first place.)
· We are among the elect whom the Lord has called during this “eleventh hour” to labor in His vineyard, a vineyard that “has become corrupted every whit” and in which only a few “doeth good” (D&C 33:3-4). We are those few. God, who saw the “end from the beginning” (Abraham 2:8), foresaw perfectly what these times would demand. Thus, said President George Q. Cannon, “God . . . reserved spirits for this dispensation who [would] have the courage and determination to face the world, and all the powers of the evil one,” and who would “build up the Zion of our God, fearless of all consequences.”
· Noble and great. Courageous and determined. Faithful and fearless. That is who you are, and that is who you have always been. (…referring to us in our life before this earth…think War in Heaven…How bad/divisive was it back then? We know now where we stood back then…because we’re here. How valiant were we back then? How valiant are we in that fight now…because that war’s not done yet here on this earth. That war just transferred from there to here.) Understanding that truth can change your life, because this knowledge carries a confidence that cannot be duplicated any other way.
· The Spirit is the key, for as President Joseph F. Smith taught, it is through the power of the Spirit that we may “catch a spark from the awakened memories of the immortal soul, which lights up our whole being as with the glory of our former home.” It is the Spirit that allows us to pierce the veil and catch glimpses of who we are and who we have always been. Thus our need to be able to hear what the Lord through the Spirit has to say.
Reading these articles makes me want to read and study my patriarchal blessing again and again…because in there lies the reason why I was sent here in the first place. The question is…am I doing my part? Am I fulfilling my role…the role I was sent to fill…the role I was meant to play? Because, even with all the stuff going on in this world…esp when thing seem to spiral out of control…I have a role to play that the Lord knows will be useful in these days. We all do. Our individual roles…combined with each other’s strengths….and even weaknesses…can be a power for doing a tremendous amount of good, for combating the powers of the Adversary.
And…who knows if our time really is *IT*…the time right before the Lord actually comes?
– Omar Aguilar